Your First Day at Work
Congratulations on landing that job! We understand that your first day at work can be nerve-wracking and we want it to go as well as possible!
Our supported employment team have helped hundreds of people to overcome lots of difficulties they have experienced in getting back into work such as long-term unemployment, learning or mental health barriers or illness.
Our team have prepared some advice to help you through your first day and starting your new job, our employment specialists can support you as you continue to work so you remain in employment for as long as possible.
- Arrive 10 minutes ahead of time, you already know how long it takes to get there from your interview, do a practice journey the day before so you know what traffic will be like and avoid any unexpected delays.
- Introduce yourself to colleagues, tell them your name and what your role is.
- Speak to your employment specialist the day before, they’ll be able to help you with any last minute worries or concerns.
- There will be a lot of new names and faces and you might find it difficult to remember them all, don’t worry that’s perfectly understandable, try and write them down, or if you get stuck simply apologise and ask for their name again, your new colleagues will understand and will have experienced the same first day jitters.
- Make sure you pack your ID, national insurance number and any other documents your employer has requested the night before so you don’t forget. A notepad and pen is always useful to make notes.
- Check the dress code and wear appropriate clothing, you may have a uniform or have to wear more formal clothing, get it prepared the day before so you don’t have to rush the next day.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions throughout the day as they occur, your new employers will be keen to give you all the information you need to enable you to perform at your best.
- Your new manager or supervisor will be very interested to hear your feedback and thoughts about your first day, be positive but if you do have any immediate concerns be sure to raise them so your manager can help you, if you’re not confident about asking talk to your Landau employment specialist and check the idea past them, they will be able to advise you on the best way to approach the subject and prepare a plan to move forward.
- Enjoy the day! Don’t put yourself under too much pressure, a lot of your first day will be taken up by your company induction and meeting new faces.
Need some help?
Our team of employment specialists can support you as you continue to work so you remain in employment.
Think we can help someone you know?
If you’re an organisation, parent, guardian, carer or know someone you think we can help, refer them to Landau here.
Need some more advice?